Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Saturday Night Specials, Part 4: Cocaine is a hell of a drug

Saturday night. Six minutes before close. The phone rings. Mini Boss answers.

"Pizza Place, can I help you?"
"Gallery Furniture!"

Okay then. Before we continue, I feel it necessary to stress that these events actually happened. I was there.

"I'm sorry?"
"Hahahaha -- didn't expect to hear that, huh? 'Gallery Furniture!' Blew your mind when you picked up the phone and I said that, didn't it?" [unhinged laughter]
"Um...can I help you?"

The wacko proceeds to try to sell Mini Boss furniture. Over the phone. At ten o'clock on a Saturday night. And not as an employee of Gallery Furniture -- he continues to refer to them in the third person: "They got the best selection, man, they really do."

Mini Boss lets him ramble for a while, probably he wants to give me material for this website. (Thanks!) After getting ten minutes of furniture shopping tips, Mini Boss tells the guy that's he already bought quite a bit from Gallery Furniture, which is true. "I've got, like, two thousand dollars of stuff I'm getting next week."

"What?" the man says. "Don't go there! They're terrible! Go to [other furniture store]!"
"Uh...okay."

The man continues to ramble about couches and tables and such. At one point, he raises his voice and declares, "Let me tell you something!"

Mini Boss waits.

Silence.

"Hello?" Mini Boss says.

"Yeah?" the wacko responds.

So much for telling us something.

Mini Boss quickly loses his patience after that, and a minute later, tells him "Look, I gotta close up." The guy pleasantly agrees, and hangs up. Mini Boss turns to me.

"That has got to go on the website."

As requested, sir.

No comments: