Monday, November 5, 2007

Just leave it there, we'll get it in a few weeks

A man calls us and places a large order, which he wants delivered. He gives an address in one of the developing neighborhoods on the edges of town. When the order is ready, I jump in my car and head out.

When I arrive at his address, I find that no one is home. Because the house isn't finished yet. The driveway is a hole in the ground, the place has no walls, and I can see the street behind it through the house's empty frame.

I double-check to make sure I'm at the right address, which I am. I look around: none of the other houses on this block are finished, either. Hmm.

I return to the Pizza Place, and my manager gives the guy a call.

"Oh!" he says. "That's the house we're moving to in a few weeks."

My manager: "You gave us the address of a house you don't even live in yet?"

"Yeah," he says, chuckling. "Guess I'm an idiot."

You don't say.

3 comments:

Lucas said...

You didn't see it then, but no one can blame you for it.

That man could bend space/time. But he couldn't control it. He got a bit lost in the past and was hungry.

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud so hard...I spit on my laptop!

Now THAT sounds idiotic!

Anonymous said...

I think I've read a Stephen King story that starts off with a delivery guy going to a nonexistent house.